New Hope Church had begun with a Sunday School in 1879 and was organized as a church in the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. in 1881. A special meeting of the congregation was held on June 16, 1936. Part of the resolution adopted at that meeting states, “Be it resolved that we, the congregation of the New Hope Presbyterian Church do utterly repudiate and disavow the un-Christian and un-Presbyterian actions of the 148th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. We believe that these actions have caused that once great body to forsake and sever itself from its true Reformed and Presbyterian heritage.” The resolution renounced “all jurisdiction, control or authority of that body” and sought admission into the new denomination then known as the Presbyterian Church of America. The resolution was adopted with three dissenting votes and the congregation was later received into the Presbytery of Philadelphia.
New Hope Church has the distinction of having retained its property when it joined the new denomination. This came about because the Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. held an old grant mortgage and for years had been paying nothing but the interest. Some of the men of the congregation paid off the mortgage and received a deed to the property.
Beginning in 1944 New Hope Church conducted a mission work in a one room country school a few miles east of the church. A mission work of New Hope Church was the Hilltop Sunday School. This was started May 21, 1944 and met in Ryebread School. There had been a Bible School after school before this time. The Sunday School was composed of 20 boys and girls and a few adults. Mrs. Harry Christy was the S.S. Supt. There were Thursday evening Prayer Meetings. The Missions Committee sent a Summer Assistant, Robert Eckardt, Sr. for a 2 week Bible School and 9:30 A.M. Lord’s Day Service in May of 1946.
By action of the 1951 General Assembly of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, New Hope was placed under the juristiction of the Presbytery of Ohio.